Good day to you all!
I decided this morning to give my little basil plant a trim. Here is a picture of my tiny produce.
So obviously I would make a basic pesto, but it is difficult and expensive to use parmesan cheese as well as pine nuts. I always believe in infusing what is locally available , therefore here is a low fat indian version of the classis pesto sauce.
- Basil(washed)- 55gm
- Refined oil – 3 teaspoon
- Garlic cloves – 6 gm or 5 cloves
- Almond – 20gm or a handful
- Seed mix (optional)
- Peel the garlic and soak the almonds in water.
- In a blender, put in all the ingredients and blend.
- Adjust the salt according to taste and enjoy your homemade pesto.
- I have used refined oil instead of olive oil. You can always go for the classics and choose to add olive oil.
- I have tried using cashew nuts instead of almonds and it gives a little more creamy texture.
- I purchased a seed mix comprising of sunflower, watermelon and pumpkin seed from “Nature’s basket”. I have added this to my pesto to make it healthier.
- I have skipped the use of cheese as I would prefer it to be low fat.